Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Will I Survive Driver's Training?

It's been about 30 years since I first slipped behind the wheel of a car. I don't remember it being all that traumatic. In fact, I can't remember much about driver's training at all except for taking the entrance ramp onto the highway for the first time.

This evening I had a flashback as I sat in the passenger's seat as my 15-year-old son took that initial foray into the world of fast-moving vehicles. It wasn't even planned. He wanted to visit a friend from church and asked if he could drive. It never occurred to me that he didn't know that meant taking two different highways to get there. When we approached the main road near our home, he asked, "Which way, Mom?" I indicated to turn right at which point he realized that we were taking the Interstate. He informed me that they hadn't ventured onto the highway yet in driver's training. I took a big gulp and said, "Well, there's a first time for everything." (Afterall, I was there when he took his first steps. Why shouldn't I be there to experience his first highway adventure?)

About half an hour later, I finally exhaled and turned to him in admiration. I was impressed! He had done a truly awesome job. I complimented him and he grinned from ear to ear. I don't know when I will get used to my children driving, but it certainly seems to be another milestone in their young lives. And why do they all have such different attitudes? My 17-year-old hates to drive and will avoid it whenever possible. My youngest son will be eligible to start driving next summer and my daughter two years after that. But like everything else, I'm learning to trust them and their ability to make good choices - most of the time!

No comments: