Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Treat Yourself Right: Take Time to Peel the Oranges!

In my ongoing effort to lose weight, I've been noticing the difference between how thin people eat compared to those of us that are always trying to shed a few pounds. Here's what I've observed: When faced with cake, cookies, or chips, women who appear to be "naturally thin" are able to enjoy a bite or two and then stop while I, on the other hand, have great difficulty ignoring an open bag of M&M's. In fact, there's times of the month when I'll seek out my favorite comfort foods like a heat-seeking missile!

Did you ever notice how the experts alway say to keep that stuff out of the house? That's great if you live alone, but I have four teenagers. What am I to do? That mere fact alone can send me to the nearest stash of chocolate chip cookies!

Truth be told, I actually prefer a fresh piece of fruit to a Girl Scout Thin Mint, but I'm lazy. The other day the remains of a box of thin mints lay open on the counter (already raided by one of the kids) right next to an orange. While the orange actually looked more appetizing, I finished off the last couple of cookies because who's got time to peel and slice an orange? I know, I know...that quality of life stuff. If I'm going to treat myself right and enjoy my life, I have to learn to take time to peel the oranges!

No comments: