Sunday, June 25, 2006

Is Midlife Really the "Best Years of Your Life?"

Midlife now is believed by some experts to be the happiest time of adult life. "From age 30 to 50, life only gets better and better," says Ron Kessler, professor of health care policy at Harvard Medical School. "These are the best years of their lives."

According to a recent article, young adults are consumed with life's big decisions - starting a career, getting married, having children - while those over 75 are plagued by failing health and fears about nearing the end of their lives. People at midlife (technically 38 to 55 years old) are usually more settled, typically married, and in many cases, their children are grown or nearly grown. They have more free time and more money.

What's your opinion? Is midlife the time of turmoil that it's typically noted for or are these the best years of your life?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess I don't consider midlife to be the "Best Years of My Life." Midlife has been hard for me. I don't like my job, my kids are all grown up, I'm not married, I've been a single parent for 20+ years. All off which I worked at one job or two just to make ends meet somewhere in the middle. At times the meeting in the middle never happened. Now what am I to do with my life. I'm unhappy, I'm scared and most of all I want to change things in my life. I'm searching to find myself. I lost me somewhere. I used to be this outgoing, happy go lucky, fly by the seat of my pants woman and she's lost. I'm depressed, tired, surrounded by negativity and my boyfriend of 9 years says I'm crazy and too emotional. He's never had children and never accepted mine as his that's why we never lived together. He couldn't be around my kids. I believe midlife to me has been hectic. I've had a lot of medical problems and family problems since midlife began for me which I believe was 1 year ago. I want to make changes in my life but I'm scared. Where do I start? What do I do? So, many questions.

Dana

Christine Schaap said...

Dear Dana,

First of all, understand that what you're going through is very "normal." You're not alone! Secondly, there is HOPE! Just as teenagers successfully make the transition to adulthood, you will find the answers that you're seeking and successfully make the transition to the second half of your life.

But it is time to make some changes. You can no longer play by the same rules that have brought you to this juncture in your life.

Recognize that this time in your life is a wonderful opportunity to make the choices that will eventually bring about the life -- career, relationships, personal fulfillment -- that you are afraid to even hope for right now.

You can discover what you were put on this earth to do and to be. You just need to move beyond this state of being totally overwhelmed. Read Bring It On! and find a friend or a coach who can help guide you through this part of the journey.

Obstacles like your health, finances, and relationship issues are going to help you grow and become the person you were meant to be. You don't need to live like this any longer. Start with loving yourself!