Monday, April 16, 2007

Voluntary Simplicity?

Have you ever thought about selling everything and starting over? That's what Lisa Perry, a 45 year old Minnesota woman, attempted to do when she put more than 300 items up for sale on eBay last week - all in a single auction with a $2,000 reserve!

Her worldly possessions include snowshoes, a futon, a bed, a collection of 33-rpm and 78-rpm records (including several Village People records), coffee mugs from her travels and a milk crate filled with seashells. What is she keeping? Her dog, her cat, photo albums and some clothing.

She was quoted as saying, "I don't need it all. I don't use it all. I just have it all. Actually, it has me."

She plans to move out west in June to take up creative writing or holistic healing. "This might be mid-life, but it's not a crisis. It's mid-life excitement," she said. "I've been schlepping this stuff across the country for more than 20 years. I think it will almost be scary how liberating it will be."

1 comment:

Gratitude said...

I think that sounds great! I am 52 and thinking of doing exactly that. I just can't figure out what I want to do after that. I have been caring for what everyone else wants for so long I honestly don't know what I want. I am giving myself 6 months to figure that out.