Sunday, March 04, 2007

Midlife is a Great Time to Stay Active!

It's been 25 years since I've been on a ski slope, but today my husband and I took our four teenagers to Caberfae -- a ski resort about an hour and a half drive north of us. The windchill was a little nippy on the ski lift, but otherwise it was a gorgeous, sunny day.

It was the first time our kids had been skiing and, in fact, two of the boys opted to try snowboarding instead. They took quite a few spills, but the smiles on their faces meant they were having a great time. And my daughter, a natural athelete, took to skiing like any new sport she tries!

I'm not sure I'm ready to go out and buy ski equipment for all of us quite yet, but it was fun to share this new experience with our kids and have another day of special family memories to look back on as they get older.

On one trip up the lift, my daughter exclaimed over the beauty of the sunset and was initially disappointed that we had neglected to bring a camera. Before I had a chance to respond, however, she quickly added, "It's okay, Mom. Not every Kodak moment can be captured with a camera -- some are so valueable that they can only be captured with your heart." Now that's a lot of wisdom for a 13 year old!

So what activities did you used to enjoy that you've neglected for many years? Bike riding? Rollerblading? Hiking? It's important to stay active and there's no better way than to spend time outdoors. I challenge you to pick one outdoor activity and commit to trying it again -- even more fun if you can find a kid or young adult to share it with!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are soooo right. Gosh that picture is inspiring - makes me want to go. I really like your tip on tapping into what used to be fin for activities. That makes it easier.

Even if the first thoughts are "...but I can't play like that any more or I can;t run that fast", can be replaced by a new way of doing it. A nice combination of the familiar and new.