Friday, May 19, 2006

'To-Do' Lists: Archaic Time Management Tool?

Throw away my 'to do' list? You've got to be kidding! But that's exactly what Jim Bird, founder and CEO of WorkLifeBalance.com, says to do. "To-do lists are an out-of-date time management tool," writes this time management expert. "They create inefficiencies and add to your frustration and stress in life."

I couldn't disagree more! I know some of you thrive on your PDA's and Blackberry's, but I have a simple system that consists of a 3-ring notebook simply labeled, "Project Management Notebook." This is where I keep an ongoing master list of all my thoughts, ideas, must-do's, and anything else I can think of. Basically, it's a depository for my "brain-dump" and a singular location for all those ideas scribbled on Post-it notes, napkins, and used envelopes.

At the end of every month, I review my list and categorize all my random thoughts and ideas by subject: website, marketing, coaching, publicity, speaking, product development and writing projects. Since I'm also a wife and mother, personal items sometimes creep into my business to-do-list, so I have a separate category for home and family as well. I put a little red dot next to anything I want to accomplish in the next 30 days and create a much shorter list for the upcoming month. Then daily I take out a blank index card (very inexpensive) and write down what my focus is going to be for that day. When I review my master list at the end of the next month, I re-evaluate any items that have more than one red dot after them. If they stick around for more than a few months, I'm probably never going to do them and cross them off the list too.

I realize that this is not the most sophisticated system in the world, but it works for me. I'm able to write down brilliant ideas as I think of them (yes, I do have those once in a while), even if I'm not able to implement them for another 6 to 12 months. I've tried the fancy day planners and even a couple failed attempts with a PDA, but they never worked the way my brain thinks. Maybe I'm all alone out there, but a to-do-list is still an efficient and effective tool for me.

I'd love to hear your comments!

By the way, if you'd like to read Jim Bird's full article, you can find it at End Procrastination: Throw Away Your To Do List and Learn Good Time Management Techniques.

No comments: