Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Spa Experience: Relaxing or Stressful?

Yesterday I visited my local salon for my monthly touch up of my roots. (No, I'm not gray, but I never got used to the dark color my hair turned after my pregnancies.) Before my hair treatment, however, I had made an appointment for a facial. Two years ago, this would have stressed me out. What will she do? Do I have to undress? Which mask should I choose? Now, I'm happy to say, facials have become a regular part of my life. In fact, I frequently fall asleep during the neck and shoulder massage!

But for many women who have never given themselves permission to indulge in any type of spa experience, it can be a confusing, if not frightening event. Many of today's day spas have so many choices when it comes to massages, skin treatments, and even permanent cosmetics that the spa newcomer can get lost in a sea of terminology that she's never heard of before. Even simple manicures have turned into a barrage of options from acrylics to French manicures. But don't let it overwhelm you. This article by Paula Story of the Union-Tribune will shed some light on what to expect: "Say Spahhhh!"

No comments: