Friday, May 19, 2006

May 19 is National Bike-to-Work Day

When was the last time you rode your bike anywhere, much less to work? I have to confess that up until two years ago when Steve and I went to Mackinac Island (where motor vehicles are prohibited), I hadn't been on a bike since highschool. I know, pretty lame, huh? After entertaining our friends with a few hesitant and wobbly circles of the hotel parking lot, I got back the feel of it and off we went! It really is true that you never forget how to ride a bike!

We are fortunate to live near a beautiful bike trail that I have since visited several times with my bike -- although I admit that I prefer my inline skates! But to ride your bike to work seems unrealistic. I do know several guys that ride to work daily (even in our cold and snowy winter climate here in Michigan), but c'mon, they're guys! Do you see a woman in her dress-for-success business suit, perfectly coifed hair, and stilettos pumping a bike? To be fair, not all jobs require such attire, but the hair? The make-up? The (how shall I put it?)...underarm freshness??

According to an Associated Press article, "To stay in shape and keep the pounds off, many boomers are forgoing running and turning to bicycling." Frankly, bad knees from years of running, skiing, and other strenuous exercise is leading boomers to cycling which is gentler on the knees. Recognizing this trend, a growing number of bicycle manufacturers and retailers are doing more to reach out to boomers.

However, as roadways and bike trails become increasingly complex and congested, do you know all you need to know to safely ride a bicycle? The League of American Bicyclists, the official site for National Bike Month, has just produced a new brochure to promote bicycle education.

People ride bicycles for all sorts of reasons, from better health to saving money on fuel. Additionally, bicycling helps the environment, allows you to escape from the endlessly clogged American roads -- and, "It's a lot of fun!" claims a 57-year-old devoted convert. "It makes me feel like a kid again."

So whether you actually bike-to-work or find more leisurely reasons to ride, it's a good reminder to all of us to dust off our bikes and get moving!

No comments: