Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Top 10 Reasons for Returning to College

  1. You gain a sense of accompishment.
  2. You meet others that are also pursuing new areas of interest.
  3. You discover that subjects you once thought were boring now excite you.
  4. You are able to share your real-life experience with traditonal age students.
  5. You keep your mind active and alert.
  6. You become more marketable and can expect higher compensation in the workplace.
  7. You experience the thrill of discovering new things and being intellectualy stimulated.
  8. You increase your confidence by successfully stepping out of your comfort zone.
  9. You are energized by the new discoveries and relationships that you're expereiencing.
  10. You inspire younger classmates -- even your own kids!

If you've ever given any thought to returning to college, this might be the time to go online or pick up the phone and find out what's available. Sign up for just one class to get your feet wet. Even if you don't need a degree to further your career, you can never go wrong with lifelong learning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,

I had children very early and was so busy working full time and raising them that now in my 40's, my children are grown and I finally am making time to get my degree. I get so much more out of college now. I can learn something and apply it at work the next day. I don't mind being one of the "older" adults in class. I feel I have a lot to add. My youngest son is now in college and is excited to be there and is looking forward to getting his degree. I hope some of that excitement is knowing that if Mom can do it, so can he.
I would encourage anyone who is considering going back to college to go for it. You have nothing to lose and a whole new world of opportunties to gain.

Diane Schmitt