Tuesday, November 08, 2005

'Nontraditional' no longer applies to college students over 40

The number of women over the age of 40 going back to school is increasing in record numbers. In fact, the so-called 'nontraditional' student accounts for over 50 percent of the students currently enrolled in America's colleges and universities. Whether they didn't have the opportunity to attend college following high school graduation, their higher education was interrupted to marry and raise a family, they aspire to advance their career, or they are interested in pursuing an entirely new career, financial independence is a key motivator for many women.

Education is critical because it enables you to pursue the career options you want in life. In fact, statistics project that 75 percent of future positions are expected to require at least some type of certification or licensing. Furthermore, professions that requre a bachelor's degree are projected to grow nearly twice as fast as the national average.

But the benefits of going back to school don't stop at increasing your earning power. Learning something new can be an invigorating experience that boosts your self-confidence and helps keep your brain young. Going back to school can also raise your self-awareness, develop your time management skills, set a good example for your children, and help you become more aware of the world around you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am 48 years old and have had a rough year last year with the death of my mother in law after a long illness and I also had to resign from my job 6 months later. The depression kept me from getting out of a chair. I have decided to get out of the chair and I am going to sign up for a algebra college class tomorrow. I want to help other people work through depression so I think counceling is the best path for me to take. My husband is supportive in my decision, so that helps. But more then anything I want to help women young and old to know and seek out options in their lives. The lack of options keep us from moving forward when life changes and we had nothing to do with it. Thanks for your time.

Elia said...

I am a female soon to turn 40 and attending college, after raising my family, and will graduate this fall with a culinary arts degree...